Talks of Freedom in Feeport

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - On Saturday last, Judge Douglas and myself first met in public discussion. He spoke one hour, I an hour and a half, and he replied for half an hour. The order is now reversed. I am to speak an hour, he an hour and a half, and then I am to reply for half an hour. I propose to devote myself during the first hour to the scope of what was brought within the range of his half-hour speech at Ottawa. Of course there was brought within the scope in that half-hour's speech something of his own opening speech. In the course of that opening argument Judge Douglas proposed to me seven distinct interrogatories. In my speech of an hour and a half, I attended to some other parts of his speech, and incidentally, as I thought, answered one of the interrogatories then. I then distinctly intimated to him that I would answer the rest of his interrogatories on condition only that he should agree to answer as many for me.

The way Lincoln described the dynamic of the last debate and his current debate.

Our most recent debate was in a much different format. The candidates  were put in a much less formal "unscripted" (or at least thats what its supposed to look like) format. They focused much more on making personal attacks at each other. Compared to the Lincoln-Douglas debate they are just silly bastards today.
Thursday, October 9, 2008

0 comments:

Post a Comment